Sunday, May 24, 2009

Magnolia Runner



Somewhere along the line I came across a pattern for a bedspread on LionBrand.com. It's the Magnolia Afghan using Homespun yarn. I loved the magnolias and wanted something to cover the plastic drawers I use to store all of my yarn and whatnot. I decided just to use the panel with the flower squares, sew them together, add a little trim, and crochet some beads around the edging. I used a couple of balls of Gold Red Heart super saver and an I hook. It took 5 squares to evenly drape to the floor after blocking.
You have to croche the magnolia first which is a bit tedious, but once you get the hang of it, the magnolias become octogons and you're done. You sew the sides together into a strip. The pattern for the triangles was absolutley absurd. I do not appreciate having to "evenly sc" around anything. It just never comes out right. I came up with an even more absurd method. I started at the base of the triangle (made by the octogaons being sewn together) and increased single crochet up the side edges. It came out pretty even. The edging is a basic dc, sk 1 sc, ch 1 rep with beads evenly spaced in the ch 1 sps around.
I still need to make another runner for the other set of plastic drawers but have been completely swamped with other projects and experiments! Another idea i had was to use a much lighter weight yarn and small glass beads to make a more delicate and fancy dinner table runner.
I'll get it done sometime this year!

No comments: