Sunday, May 24, 2009

Half Circle Crop Top




Oh man was this top tricky. I had started making this top a few years ago with a ball of blue Lion Brand Baby Soft (which I didn't realized I used so much), but never finished it because I just wasn't feeling it.
The pattern in Jul/Aug 07 Crochet Today called for Red Heart Luster Sheen and I just really don't like that yarn. Poking around in the Yarn Outlet I found some Mahopac Yarn Mohegan. It's a beautiful linen/cotton blend. It came out great.
I had so much trouble trying to figure out how to sew all of the pieces together. You make the front and back half circles and the sleeves, then crochet around the neck and bottom. I took the pieces apart a few times before I finally got it. Then after I had finished everything, the next night Knit and Crochet Today! came on Create and they featured this piece. I was so upset, but after they finished with the tutorial, they never even discussed how to sew them together. And I really think the yarn I used looks better than the Luster Sheen.
The pattern has an option to add a skirt to make a dress. It's really gorgeous, but I think it would be pretty expensive to make. I think I used about 6 balls of the Mohegan.

No comments: