Friday, April 19, 2013

Granny Square Messenger

 
The Granny Square is the first thing that I ever learned to make, as well as the first pattern I was taught to read. It is a classic design that makes you think of retro and most likely, real live Grannies sitting around crocheting pretty hideous blankets. I really like to use granny squares, even when just trying to see how different colors work together. Instead of a swatch, I may make a granny square, alternating colors here and there.
Here, I have made three granny square panels. Not squares, but a three sided granny pattern. Front  and back of the bag, and then the flap. I doubled up on yarn for the strap, but it will stretch on anyway, nothing I can do about that except, maybe, line it (and you know I hate sewing machines). Easy bag to make, but a treacherous pattern to write.
The bag above is made with Berroco Comfort Worsted. It is an acrylic yarn with a mercerized cotton feel to it. It's cool to the touch and very heavy. It does tend to split a little when working with it, but the finished product looks so smooth. I chose these colors because I wanted to keep that vintage feel with the granny design.
 

 
This bag is made with leftover acrylic yarn that I used to make a Dr. Who scarf. It's Vanna White Lion Brand. The bag came out a little bigger than the Berroco one, for whatever reason. I don't think this acrylic has too much give or weight to it. It's fluffier and lighter. It definitely does not have a smooth look to it, rather a granny blanket look. Nonetheless, I needed to give my pattern one more preliminary test before sending it to a real pattern tester.

 
This is the bag with the flap flipped over. Perfect size for binders, folders, and books....hint schoolbag!
This bag is for sale on etsy.
 













No comments: