Friday, April 19, 2013

Baggy Bolero

 
This baggy bolero is among my first real clothing designs. Back in the day, I picked up any yarn I could find, even if it was lying on the side of the street in a big trash bag. Literally. This yellow rug yarn came out of a trash bag that I found on the side of the street. It was in a black bag and I just knew that bag had yarn in it. Slammed on my breaks, did a quick U-ey and low and behold, this bag was slam full of vintage yarn and unfinished projects. Some yarn wasn't so pretty, nor did it smell very pretty, but any obsessed yarnie would justify throwing it in the back of their car.
Now that this TMI story is behind us, with that yarn, I made this gorgeous baggy bolero and love it. I found a bit of staining through the yarn (only one tiny spot), so this yellow bolero is mine forever. I couldn't sell it, there's too much story in it.
 
 
Celtic knot square
 
 
 
 
 
This is the remake of my original design with non-smelly, store bought wool, Lamb's Pride Bulky. I was trying to mimic the drape and bagginess of the original, but it can't happen with this wool. The rug yarn above is a cotton blend, and surely some wool. The cotton version gives weight and drape while this wool version is lighter and bulkier and in being so, smaller in size.
The pattern I used is exactly the same, I did not alter it for the different yarn used. The circles are made first and connected to each other, then a square is made around them. I make most of the bolero, sew the square in, then finish the bolero incorporating the square. Short seams are sewn to make the sleeves. All in all, this is a very simple pattern, and a great design. I'm sure I will find some cotton yarn that can substitute better for the vintage rug yarn someday.
 
 
 
 
A simpler version, which just popped into my head is a simple rectangle without the celtic design. Maybe some striping. Maybe sewn on appliques. Hmmm....






No comments: